Friday, August 30, 2019

Vivitar Optics LED Magnifying Glasses 3-Pack,

Vivitar Optics LED Magnifying Glasses 3-Pack, Viv-Mag-3

Vivitar Optics LED Magnifying Glasses 3-Pack, Viv-Mag-3

This is my third set of these magnifiers. I like the smallest one of the set because for my needs it is the strongest. For my needs, the smallest only makes the images clearer but not by much and not much larger either (in my situation).
The price paid is reasonable for these and yes, I would and will buy them again because of the smallest one. It is a shame that you can't buy just one of these if you know the magnification you need at the time of purchase. Would I recommend this, yes!

After doing a little research on-line, I decided to purchase this set of three magnifying glasses. I found these to be of good quality for this price range. The LED lights can be set to two different levels with the three position switch. On the largest (2X) magnifying glass, I had a problem with the LED's NOT turning off in ANY position of the switch. I decided to remove the cover over the switch, which is held in place by a screw, and check it out to see if I could repair it. There is a three position switch under this cover with some resistors soldered to it, as well as the leads to the LED's and the batteries. It appears that during assembly, some of the leads were pinched up against each other as well as being pinched against the cover. I gently routed the leads so that they were not touching each other, and so that the cover could be put back on without pinching the leads. No soldering was necessary to do this. To me, this was a minor inconvenience, as I was able to correct the problem easily. Obviously, this is a quality control issue, as they must not be tested after assembly or this would have been corrected. Overall, I am satisfied with this purchase, and would recommend these magnifying glasses to others shopping in this price range (under $20.00) for the set of three.
Vivitar 2X/2.5X/3X Magnifying Glass With 6 LED Lights

Very good quality glass lens that magnifies without distortion. These are inexpensive, light up the area you are looking at and it's a set, so I can have one stashed in different locations for convenience. I mainly purchased these for my job, I work in the medical field and using magnification is needed at least a couple of times a day. I carry one in my lab coat and am able to examine something close up without having to go searching for a magnifying glass. I like that the lenses are glass so they don't scratch as easy as plastic, they are very clear, and it cuts the distortion you get with plastic lenses. If you are looking for an affordable, good quality magnifier with a bonuses of build in lighting and more than one, I would definitely give these a try. I find a use for these on a daily basis. If I'm not using one at work, I'm using one at home or when I am out and about for random things (finding small ticks on my doberman's, reading the super duper fine print on something, etc.)

We've tried the cheap drugstore versions and then tried the Vivitar brand due to their reputation. But honestly, there are a few design flaws that really could have been avoided.

The Good: The lens is good quality (glass?) and is a single magnification lens without compromising space by including a second built-in lens like the cheaper versions. LED lights equally distribute light over the circumference of the lens. This is nice as the entire lens is magnified and illuminated. For the price, the cost was less than $5/each. That's a bargain for the glass and the number of LED lights. The magnification, for most of us, is sufficient for magnifying prescription labels and ingredient lists on the smallest of cans.

The Bad: 3AAA batteries, ugh. Actually, that wouldn't be too bad. The shape of the head is awful. Instead of a smooth round head, the geometrical shape of this thing provides for sharp corners every other light. You wouldn't think this too bad (it looks cool, right?), but the plastic is sharp and obnoxious to the touch. Worse, however is the switch mechanism, which is Low, OFF, High, in that order. Those 3AAA batteries don't last long if the switch isn't in middle position, the actual OFF position. This seems to be a poor design, or perhaps it's just us. We have 'discovered' it with the light still ON the following morning thanks to the design. It would have received 5 stars had the switch been Low, High and OFF, so that all the way up or all the way down turns the lights completely OFF.

We're glad for the purchase, and even though we're a bit judgmental of the item, overall it paid for itself from day one. We keep a variety of about 8-10 magnifiers around the home (case the memory starts going too, there's always one wherever we are), and this was definitely worth a try and without regret. We may just opt for the nearest end-cap, no-name-brand purchase if we stock up on more.

My daughter got me a couple of these of different sizes as a stocking stuffer. I love these things since I have difficulty reading the small print. The LED lights are a great feature helping to illuminate what you're looking at and making it easier to read. They're Vivitar and they're well made. Plus I've left the lights on many times overnight and the LED lights are still burning bright. The battery life is excellent. I did buy this set of 3 for my mother as they appeared to be different sizes in the photo. They aren't. All three are the same size but each had a different magnification. At only .5 power difference between each one I'd just get the 3X and be done with it unless you want more than one


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Set of 3 LED lighted magnifiers

Description

Visitor 2X/2.5X/3X Lighted Magnifying Glass Set.



The lenses on these magnifiers are excellent! I collect and sell coins, and I have bought a few loupes to look at my coins, and I know it is difficult to find good quality lenses! I se them for reading on the Net, because my reading glasses don't have the best lenses apparently! I would suspect that finding anything out there that are a better quality than these, will be very difficult! In fact, I just ordered another set of three!
I make nothing from this review! I know it is difficult sometimes believing some reviews on the items sold on Amazon, but this is the absolute truth about this product! By the way, the lights do not flicker on the three magnifiers that I have. The price is excellent at $12 and change! I suggest you do not accept the first price you see, and look over all the potential sellers. I say this because, the first set I purchased was $12 and change, with free delivery! When I decided that I wanted another set, in the "Buy Again," choice, the first price that was shown, was $14, and no free shipping. I would imagine, that those that don't buy on Amazon often, may not know this! Good luck!

The LEDs spaced around the edges really do illuminate the object under scrutiny very well. The slider switch has two 'on' positions, I though that maybe the first setting would be three LEDs and the second all six LEDs but this is not so. It seems as if both 'on' positions are the same - all 6 LEDs fully powered. So far they are working well, and do the job as intended. The lenses are clear and without blemish or distortion. The two larger magnifiers are not super-powerful, check the magnifying power before you buy. They are a comfortable fit in the hand, and they a little bit heavy for a child to hold for long periods, but that is due mainly to the weight of the batteries. Being plastic they will not survive a lot of drops onto hard floors, but they can take a table-height fall onto carpeting without fear of breaking or popping a lens out.

So the Amazon review asked about how much fun the toy was...its educational value, it durability and overall rating. Hey Amazon...these aren't toys, okay? If you need to see better than your reading glasses allow, in any or no light, these little jewels fit the bill, and your wallet. Their description on the webpage sucks though, so just so you know, there is a smaller glass and a larger one. The magnification is 3X and 2.5X respectively. THEY DO NOT COME WITH BATTERIES (two AAA/each)...even though Vivitar's packaging and advertising makes a great deal out of the fact that they are illuminated. That kinda cuts down on their "fun" factor and "educational value". For those of you looking for decent, low cost magnifying glasses for either you or your kids, these will do nicely. The three way switches are a bit loose and seem like they will too easily get bumped to one of the on positions if stored loosely with other items, so I wish they came with a small case to store them in. Also, the lenses will almost certainly get scratched up stored loose in a drawer. Minus one star for the lack of a storage box and the lack of batteries in the bubble pack. Other than that, they are great little "toys".

Only needed one but for the offered price I ordered this set.
The items visually appear well-made with somewhat adequate plastic construction. Each unit has some heft and the grip is hand-filling. There are no loose fittings and no rattle when handling each item.
All the magnifiers take 2AAA batteries in a compartment with a slide cover. Battery fit is tight with apparently no problem with loose contacts. The slide cover is basic for small gadgets.
The lens is glass and is the best feature of this item. The difference between good glass magnification and plastic lens is apparent.
LED illumination is good and not overly bright. Light activation is via a large sliding switch set into the top of the grip. The switch does slide too easily and barely clicks into place. Middle position is off; forward/up is high bright; back/down is low bright. As stated, the switch slides too easily and you have to play with it to shut it off.
I haven't tested the magnification to see if they are as advertised but the magnification upon cursory inspection is very adequate. There is some discernible distortion in the lens view, but I do not consider it a negative.
I am satisfied with my purchase and would order these again.

OK, so I'm "getting up there" -- you know, that point just around 40 when you can't read the fine print without holding it an arm's length away, or asking your teenager to come in the room and tell you what color is printed on the bottom of the lipstick tube? Yeah, that's me. I found myself using our old trusty, plain magnifying glass for a lot of fine print reading and other projects, so much so that I thought, hey I better get more of these. So I found these magnifiers on Amazon and thought, gee, I don't really need the LED part, that's overkill, but I'll give them a try anyway because there are two sizes. Well, let me tell you, I LOVE the fact these come with a built-in light. I use them all the time and in fact bought another set so that I could have one of these magnifiers in almost every room in the house. Trust me, once you have light-up magnifiers, you will never want to go back to the regular kind. Genius!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment