Sunday, June 30, 2019

Drive Medical 3 Wheel Rollator, Flame

Drive Medical 3 Wheel Rollator, Flame Red

Drive Medical 3 Wheel Rollator, Flame Red

This is my second one of these. I purchased this one after 2 years of excellent service from my first one. I LOVE it, but you should know its pros and cons before making a decision.

PROS:
1. It is VERY light. This makes it very easy to lift and get in and out of cars. Anyone with a neuromuscular disorder will appreciate this advantage.
2. It is very compact (minus the basket). It fits in the trunk of my husband's convertible. It fits on the floorboard of my Mini...or the cargo space. It fits in just about any vehicle. I've even sat in the back seat with it.
3. It narrows easily. Walking through restaurants or narrow antique store aisles is not a problem. I just unlock the hinge, push the handles a bit to narrow it, and squeeze right through! It saves a lot of steps trying to find a wider path.
4. It's stable! 3 points define a plane. While being lightweight does mean that too much force in any direction could tip it, it does take a bit of effort to tip it.
5. STORAGE! I LOVE the leather pouch. I put a secondary bag inside it that I can lift out quickly to fold it. It can hold a lot of stuff. I can use it for light groceries without getting a regular cart or a motorized cart.
6. The locking brakes work well and I can use it as a footrest.
7. Looking at the price on Amazon, it is VERY affordable. Even with a "2-year" lifespan (it will last much longer without baggage handler abuse), it was WELL worth the ~$80 price tag. That's less than $1/week.
8. I attached a cup holder (Nova "Winner") and I like that, too!
9. I'm very petite (5' 0") and it works well for me!

CONS:
1. It's aluminum, not steel. That makes it light, but also decreases strength a bit. If you are particularly heavy, this may not be supportive enough.
2. While it works well for someone petite, it may not work for taller people. Depending on your condition and what position you prefer your arms to be in, it may not extend tall enough for you.
3. The basket is cumbersome to assemble and clip onto the walker. If using it only around a house or apartment, it might be suitable, especially with the tray to carry meals or light objects, but it MUST be removed to fold the walker for transport.
4. The front wheel CAN get caught in ruts. You DO have to watch your step and have enough stability/mobility to lift the front wheel over an obstacle without falling. Remember, though, this is very lightweight, so it doesn't take much effort.

TIPS:
1. The bolt over the front wheel (securing left frame) tended to loosen on my first one. It would periodically block the free rotation of the wheel and I'd have to screw it back in. A bit of glue will make it less likely to loosen. I cannot think of a reason I would want to remove that bolt.
2. The "decorative" cap over the joining bolt on the upright, above the front wheel and below the hinge, came off early on my prior one. I glued this one in place. Again, I cannot think of an occasion where I would need to access that bolt/nut.
3. The pouch will suck small items to the bottom, like a big purse! Get an inner bag with some pockets that you can put in and take out quickly to fold the walker.

I'm saving my first one as an indoor and back up walker. The front wheel got bent, likely from the gate-check baggage handlers, and the resulting wobble was a bit annoying. Also, the right brake cable needs to be tightened. It will probably cost more to service than to replace, thus the new one. I got the same model because I really do LOVE IT!!

Used this at the Drs. Office and loved it. So, we wrote down the model # and ordered it. After assembling it I tried it and it was very unstable the front wheel lifted up at the slightest movement. Could not understand that the very same model could be so great at the Drs. and mine was so unstable. On further examination there is a warning written on the bottom of the walker to be sure and fully extend the legs before using. . We almost returned it, as I was very disappointed. We extended the legs and voila it is perfect now. Seems this should be emphasized more in the written instructions since I noticed several people had the instability problem. So glad we looked further.

I use a Hugo rollator with a seat and large wheels (which I love btw) when I am out and about, but it is way too large to use inside my rather small house. My physical therapist recommended I try a 3-wheeler at home to help me get around more comfortably than with my cane. After researching them here on Amazon I found this one to be the best overall value for me at the time I purchased it. There is some assembly required of course. When assembling it be sure to pull the legs out until they click into place. I think at least one reviewer might not have and found it to be quite tippy as a result. The wheels should not be directly under the handles but further out toward the user. With those legs fully extended and clicked into place I haven't found the least bit of a concern with stability. The pouch, basket and tray work just fine for me. I can stuff all sorts of things into the pouch and move them from one place to another - a water bottle, books, magazines or file folders, a sweater, a tissue box, scrapbooking supplies or maybe cans or jars from the pantry to the kitchen, whatever - anyway you get the idea. As far as the basket goes I fold down the back part of it between the tray and the pouch and have open and easy access to the things I stick in there, otherwise you lift the tray off to access the basket. The tray is wonderfully helpful for rolling a meal into the TV room. As most of you who use a cane can likely commiserate with, a cane can be really, really annoying to deal with. While my cane has its place in my independence collection, for me there is no comparison from using my cane at home to using this compact little 3-wheeler. It's convenient, compact, stable, helps me be more independent and there's far less stress and annoyance than using my cane. If you have one of those fold up canes as I do you can fold it up and stick it in the pouch to have it handy if you choose to. This 3-wheeler does fold, but since I only use it in the house I haven't done that as yet, so I'm not able to address that issue. Although it says it is flame red it is actually black with little highlights of red. I love mine.

I purchased this Rollator Walker several months ago and I love it. It allows me to have the freedom of movement yet provides stability for me. I love the fact that it is compact enough to use in my house and will adjust to fit through tight spaces. It folds up so easily and can fit in the back of a car or van. It is light weight enough that I can lift it if need be although my husband always does that for me. The bag that hangs between the wheels is large enough to carry anything from groceries to a large purse and the removable basket on top is also large enough to hold lots of extras that you may need, I use the shelf on top of the basket to carry things such as folded laundry and anything else I may need to carry from one room to another. Needless to say.......this walker has been a life saver for me. People in my Church, neighbors and friends have also been so impressed that they have asked that we order them one for a family member who needs one. As of this date we've ordered 8 of these walkers for various friends. I can't say enough positive things about this walker. I love it.

I had been having trouble carrying things from my kitchen. I bought this because it has a tray and it has worked very well for the purpose I bought it for. I have to say that the basket that the tray sits on was confusing to put together and was hard to figure out how to attach it to the rolator. This should be improved in future designs as it isn't the most secure attachment. It definitely meets my need to carry food and small items from the kitchen and I do not regret the purchase one bit. It is also better for my stability than the 2 canes I was using before.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Comes standard with basket, tray and pouch; Basket conveniently folds for easy storage
  • Easy one-handed folding - comes with frame folded and compact; Pull lightweight, aluminum trombone-style frame to lock in place and secure with lock knob.Handle Height: 31 - 38 inches
  • 7.5" casters for indoor or outdoor use with a special loop lock made of internal aluminum casting operates easily and ensures safety
  • Handles easily adjust in height with self-threading knob. Simply loosen lock knob and pull trombone style frame to lock in place
  • Overall Dimensions: 24"(L) x 25"(W) x 31"(H); Handle Height: 31"-38"; Weight Capacity: 300 lbs

Description

This 3 wheel rollator in red has a lightweight aluminum frame and comes standard with basket, tray and pouch. Easy one hand folding makes for simple storage. Easy to adjust handle height with self-threading knob. Lightweight solid 8" wheels for indoor and outdoor use. Comes standard with special loop locks made of internal aluminum casting to ensure safety.



If front wheel raises off ground the sides are nor extended all the way. Directions are all but useless. There is a directional label. I almost returned this walker because at first I did not see how to extend and thought it was already done. Just pull hard and the sidebars attached to wheels lengthen and the walker is super stable. This is a nice price for a great walker that maneuvers turns and small spaces wonderfully. My mother loves it for restaurants, theater etc.

My 87 year old mother has (2) replacement knees and (2) replacement ankles, I call her my WEEBLE (Weebles wobble but they don't fall down), needless to say she is not real balanced when she walks, She already had your typical 4 wheel walker with wheels and brakes, but because she was going to be doing a little travel we bought this one for the smaller size and easier for her to manuever. THIS WALKER HAS NO ISSUES WITH WANTING TO TILT OR FALL BACK, I can certianly see how it might if you did not follow directions and assemble it for the first time correctly, but its just as sturdy when assembled correctly as her 4 wheel walker, With the locking brakes she can even use the walker to help pull her up from chairs or the potty with no issues. This walker has quickly become her walker of choice because its smaller, lighter, and easier to manuever. My only complaint would be the cover for the wire basket, I wish it was hinged or something instead of snapping in place.

I bought this rollator for a specific need, as a "companion" to the heavier 4 wheel rollator I use at home. I needed something lightweight, easy to fold and which would fit into the car. This 3 wheel rollator met all those needs perfectly. I can fold it with one hand and lift it into the back of the car myself, without any help. It was also very easy to assemble. With regards to the complaints about stability, here is my experience. 1. Extend the wheels *all the way* before you try to use it. They pull out and lock into place. 2. Don't try to use the rollator to pull yourself up from a chair. It's not meant to do that. Push yourself up to a standing position using the chair arms then reach for the rollator. (Didn't the rehab nurses teach us to do that anyway?) 3. Stability: Your own experience may vary, and caution is always needed when using mobility aids. I found this rollator to be stable in normal walking. In testing, I had to intentionally place my hands and elbows in a specific position in order to tilt the rollator back so the front wheel left the ground. It didn't raise up with normal walking, only after I moved my hands to the back of the grips and intentionally dropped my elbows was I able to get it to pull up. I also found I could tilt the rollator onto a left or right back wheel if I changed the position of my hands/elbows and deliberately tried to do so. It didn't tilt in normal walking. I have (so far) had a good experience with this rollator (no stability issues) and have happily used it in the mall and at a strip shopping center. Each person is different as to how they walk, but I had no stability issues when walking with this 3 wheeler.

I wish I had bought this walker years ago. My seat roller is too heavy for me to get out of my car. This is perfect for shopping in stores that don’t have a shopping cart. I know some ppl had a problem with it tipping. Someone posted a post and picture how to open it to the point it does not tip. I am a heavyset woman and no problems at all. There is a pouch that holds a lot of items so I can gather items as I go along. No one has stopped me thinking I am stealing. I highly recommend this walker.

This walker is the greatest, no doubt! It is light enough that I can lift it over the gap at most subway stations - a serious concern with my last walker - but solid enough that I can lean on it a bit when walking. I weigh about 115 pounds, in case it matters.

I love my walker, which assists me in getting around NYC. The wheels are good and solid, and look like they'll last for awhile. The included bag is big enough to hold my purse and lunch, and a few other items. I haven't really used the basket yet. Without the basket, I can squeeze the rollator to make it a bit smaller (I have to remove my purse to do this).

It will also be useful when I need it inside, as it can be used slightly folded up to get around in narrow spaces. All in all, a great find and a mobility aid par excellence!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment