Sunday, May 26, 2019

Mountain House Macaroni and

Mountain House Macaroni and Cheese

Mountain House Macaroni and Cheese

I just used a pouch of this Mac-N-Cheese at the 12-hours of Sebring race and it was a delicious meal at the end of a long day! Worked as advertised and was extremely easy to prepare just add hot water & salt & pepper totaste. Ensure that you allow for the full recommended time (plus) for the noodles and cheese to cook in the hot water. Also, definitely buy a long handled spoon so that you can eat from the pouch and avoid cleaning a pan.

I tried the pouch version. Mac n cheese should be difficult to mess up, and while it wasn't bad I've a few suggestions for the consumer.
1. Using the suggested 1.5 cups makes it fairly watery. This is a matter of personal taste, but I will use less water next time.
2. The instructions say to mix well. Seriously, mix well. An 'optional' second stir halfway through is suggested; several of their products give this instruction. But this step is mandatory if you want your food evenly constituted and cooked. Definitely give it a second stir.
3. Salt & pepper. Gotta add some. Every chef knows that seasoning is mandatory for most savory dishes. Season to taste.
4. It takes far longer than 8-9 minutes. I prefer al dente pasta, but at 9 minutes the macaroni was uncooked. I resealed the pouch and just came back a little later, so I can't say exactly how much longer to let it sit sealed after stirring, but I'd give it about another 10 min, making this a 20 min meal. Even after a half hour I didn't find the noodles to be soggy. YMMV
5. There are not 3 servings in this bag, 2 at most.
While eating from a bag is always going to be a little messy it not only makes for no clean-up but also keeps your food hotter longer. All in all pretty good for a no fuss, freeze dried, on the fly meal. I'd buy it again.

and would buy it again, but next time I'll

As with most other MH products, you need to measure the amount of water *very* carefully. Use a proper measuring cup, instead of eyeballing it. If you do it right, you should end up with mac and cheese that is surprisingly close to the real thing, and earned the seal of approval of my kids (who are quite picky about this stuff).

The only thing that can spoil the enjoyment is that some of the larger bits of pasta can take longer than advertised to rehydrate, so you can stumble upon a crunchy one if you rush it. The solution is to mix more often and leave it for a bit longer than prescribed on the packaging.

We're sampling the highly-rated Mountain House foods for camping trips & to be ready if we have to hunker down for a few days without power. Next up: Mountain House Mac & Cheese. It would be hard to screw-up mac & cheese, and fortunately Mountain House doesn't! This made three generous portions of very creamy, tasty mac & cheese. I served it for dinner (w/a side of cauliflower, see pix) to my fairly finicky teen kids, saying, "In an emergency you'd be thrilled to have this..." To which my daughter replied, shoveling it down, "I'm thrilled to have this now. Order a lot of this." True story.

A very good product to have on hand for an emergency--or any other occasion.

The Mac n cheese tastes similar to Stouffers found in the freezer section. imo, it's pretty good considering it's freeze dried. To us, camping makes food taste better and if it's comfort food ~even better. Some reviewers have pointed out that despite allowing the product to cook in the bag as directed (or for even longer ) some of the noodles tasted under cooked or "crunchy". After a long day of hiking a few crunchy noodles was't off putting enough to make us consider cooking it differently. It actually kinda made me think of crunchy crumb topping found on some of the homemade mac n cheese. Second time I prepared it I dumped the contents into a pot of boiling water so it could really cook and that took care of any crunchy noodles.
So if you have the time, don't mind the clean up, and/or really dislike crunchy noodles just cook it in a pot. Otherwise cook as directed. Will buy again.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Macaroni noodles in a smooth, creamy, and very cheesy sauce.
  • Just Add Water. Plan Easier. Travel Lighter. Eat Heartier.
  • Three 1-Cup servings
  • Allergens: Milk, Wheat
  • 30 Year Taste Guarantee

Description

We make our mac & cheese for grownups. Made with big, hearty macaroni noodles and rich cheese sauce, it’ll satisfy the whole family. If you are looking to add mac & cheese to your long-term or emergency food storage plan, this is the one to get. We’ve made food preparation easier. Simply add hot water and in about 8-10 minutes you’ll have a delicious meal you can eat anywhere!



This is my third entree to try, and the flavors continue to impress. This mac'n'cheese tastes like mac and cheese. The sauce is thick and creamy tasting. I'd compare it as pretty close to stouffers frozen. This one takes in the water faster than the others I've tried.

Pros: Pairs well with other foods, no funky taste or after taste. Sauce turns almost like melted cheese/cream

Cons: Needs salt (though I may be an oversalter)

corn cream & cheese taste
stir well if you put hot water,Let's wait just a little longer than the indicated time

Love it. I have tested the Mountain House meals and find them easy to cook and easy to eat. Seriously, some of the other branks were like eating the old fashioned military rations (MREs). The MREs are not good for people who can't chew because they are too young or too old.This freeze dried meal is pretty much a meal in a bag which will last 10-20 years and then some, as long as you keep it dry. Important--you do need to get water to a boil to mix with it. Amazon has a bunch of items which will do this easily. I am not a prepper, but like to know how to prepare for emergencies ahead of time.I was the Military Disaster Preparedness officer for my base and learned that there are many reasons to prepare and know that I had broadened my knowledge ahead of time.

As far as dried food for backpacking goes, I've always felt that Mountain Hose is the best. The Macaroni & Cheese has been a favorite of mine since it was introduced. To me, it tastes good--not homemade but still the best iteration of Mac & Cheese out there in this genre. It only takes hot water, but maybe a bit more than they say it does. There are plenty of calories either for a hard day of hiking or for sleeping warm through a chilly night. The only place Mountain House could do better is the sealing system to close the pouch

I bought this for my three kids on a camping trip. They seemed to like it and they're usually picky eaters. It tasted a little bland to me, but was easily edible. I think a little salt would have fixed that. Overall I'm quite happy with this. Makes a great meal for camping and emergencies.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment