Friday, September 13, 2019

SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 -

SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 - Black

SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5 - Black

I don't share work related stories on the internet so I won't go into detail, but this item saved someone. When I bought it, I fully expected to never get the opportunity to use it. Unbelievably, I only had it two weeks. The person's arm was ripped off just above the elbow in a car accident. This item stopped the flow of blood.

I opened the Amazon app on my phone and ordered another before the day was out. I suddenly felt very vulnerable without it. I now carry one in my personal vehicle and should probably have another for the house.

As an aside, I really don't think you can go wrong with this or a North American Rescue CAT. A firefighter ended up tossing me a CAT when he heard I had used one that I had paid my own money for. Now I have both. Obviously I'm partial to the SOFTT-W, given our history.

While I think the R.A.T.S. looks cool, it is not an ideal replacement for several reasons. First and foremost, it is only effective for self-application. It would be difficult to easily achieve tension working on another person, even in cooperation.

Anyway... 5 stars.

I’ve ordered some Tourniquets from this supplier before, and ordered two more. One of them was real and the other was fake. Definitely noticeable with different buckles, fake time stamp and even a wrong address on the tag, which was also in the wrong place. Beware of real and fake supplies.

Whether self applying, or applying to someone else, this is an excellent tourniquet. I have several of them in IFAK's on various gun bags and in my car. I have trained with them in applying them to myself, as well as others, and they are very easy to get on tight and quickly. Excellent construction, and the aluminum windlass feels very strong.

The quick detach buckle makes this tourniquet easier to apply around larger limbs, and the newly designed buckle is very easy to adjust. This works well on most males, and adult women, but young children or particularly slender women may be too thin to get good constriction.

Great tourniquet.

I have had many in the past including a CAT that broke during training. I have used the SOFTT-W tourniquet As an EMT on a trauma patient with an arm Amputation & Uncontrolled arterial Bleeding after a Motor Vehicle Rollover . This is the ONLY tourniquet I Trust.

I'll keep this short and sweet. I like this over the CATs for a few reasons.. Much more durable, adjusts and cinches faster, solid metal (aluminum I believe) tightening rod, and plastic triangles for keeping it tight. Strap is a thick nylon. Not cheap at all. Has a great 'heavy duty' feeling. Seen a few break, triangle fasteners and the rods, but only in training, where they're re-use 100 times, I've never seen one break first use, unlike CATs, which usually have a plastic tightening rod. When they're tightened for use, I find it very difficult, sometimes impossible to get the rod locked into both triangles. That doesn't bother me too much since one triangle holds it well. There is also a tightening screw for the strap latch, to prevent slippage once it's tightened. Great fail-safe idea, not the greatest implementation. The screw head is thimble sized, and a pain to tighten down, a butterfly head/washer would be much better. CATs main pro is that they have more dummy proof in installation, the initial strap tightening is easier, which holds by velcro, no worry for clips and screws. BUT, everything on the CAT is plastic, everything on the SOFTT is metal..... I carry these, and SWAT-Ts, which I also reviewed, and despite it's imperfections, I do believe these are the standard for the industry, and a lot of military units have turned to these in recent years.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • The new SOF Tactical Tourniquet 1.5" is lighter, faster and stronger! Generation 4 offers a new buckle that is faster and easier to use.
  • A true 1 ½" constricting band for increased constricting pressure and patient comfort.
  • Quick-connect, snap-lock buckle design, allowing rapid re-routing of the band around trapped limbs without rethreading.
  • Lower-profile, lighter weight alloy components, providing the required strength and durability only metal can offer.
  • Single application method regardless of location. 15% lighter than the current SOF Tactical Tourniquet and reduced size for easier storage.

Description

The SOF Tactical Tourniquet-Wide (SOFTT-W) is the result of an exhaustive 24-month research initiative compiling end-user research and laboratory studies to develop a more effective, easier-to-use tourniquet for all environments. High-strength, light-weight alloy components are used in critical areas of function ensuring reliability in the most challenging of circumstances and on the largest of limbs. This was all accomplished while reducing the weight by around 15%. The high-strength hook and buckle interface was designed for security, strength, and ease of application. The design allows for rapid routing of the tourniquet strap while eliminating need for re-threading the webbing through a buckle. By eliminating the requirement to re-route the webbing the tourniquet is easier to use when operating under stress. This reduces application time, which can result in reduced levels of blood loss and better quality patient care. The SOFTT-W also has a true 1 ½" tourniquet strap providing a wider compression pattern than most standard tourniquets, or tourniquets with a 1" constricting band moving through a 1 ½" sleeve. This broader compression pattern allows for increased patient comfort and additional arterial compression. The tourniquet handle is machined from a single piece of high strength aluminum bar stock. The strength of the handle virtually eliminates the risk of product failure. It is then anodized to minimize the products signature in a tactical environment. Each tourniquet ships with two UV resistant black rubber bands for mounting to your individual equipment. Dimensions: 5" H x 2" W x 1.75" D Weight: 4 oz



Excellent tourniquet. Very well made and easy to use. When flat folded it can easily be carried in a pocket too.

I hope I don't need this, but I trust that it will work if it is ever necessary. Good quality and nice materials. These types of tools require practice and drilling so you can actually use it under the stress of an arterial bleed. I'm a little concerned about how well it will hold up after repeated practicing, but if necessary I'll gladly pick up another to keep for real emergency use.

Please note, I have not used this tourniquet (TQ) on an actual wound. This review is based on my previous experience and training with other TQs and my impression of this one.

Basically, this offers all the advantages of a CAT TQ, such as one handed application and windlass operation (an absolute must in TQs for personal use since the wound may be on an arm) but with several improvements to what I considered shortfalls on the CATs as well. For instance, the smooth plastic windlass is replaced with a metal one that has diamond shaped texture for grip, making it much easier to wind single handed especially when wet (or bloody) and eliminates a failure point, IE, windlass breakage. The buckles and anchor points are metal as well for added strength. The straps also seem to be a much higher quality and the extra half inch of width surely means to better blood vessel compression and doesn't seem to cut into the skin as much. The TQ can be folded and packed much flatter as well which is good if you have it in a streamlined pouch. It also comes with 2 UV proof rubber bands, great for people who like to carry TQs on their gear in the open. Yes it is significantly more expensive than a CAT TQ but I for one am willing to spend the $10 on something I'm trusting my life to.

I gave this product four stars because I have not used it. It seems to be well made, all sewing and seams are neat and tight, the adjustment buckle is sufficiently strong, and it seems exactly as the manufacturer claims.This is not a normal first aid kit item. It is for emergency use, car crash, a really bad cut, or a gunshot wound. As such, I have not used it and hope I never do. It falls into the category of remote possibility, but I believe that possibility is becoming less remote with every news article. If you're a pessimist, buy a few, otherwise it's up to you.

Put it into my emergency kit. Did a pre-test as you never wana need it and find out it doesnt work or be trying to figure it out on the spot. Works great good quality item and for saving your life should you ever need it well worth the money.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment