
I bought two types of whistles-- the JetScream and the SOL Slim Rescue Howler-- because I was trying to decide between the two. I decided to give a test try to both inside the house, which in retrospect, was probably a poor choice. Now, because I was at the epicenter of the chaos that ensued, I cannot tell you if there is an overt difference between the two as to which carries farther or sounds stronger. However, I can tell you that upon blowing both in quick succession, I caused what will forever go down in history as the Great Cat EXPLOSION of 2016, in which all three cats instantaneously began to race frantically on their bellies as if the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were upon them. I also lost most hearing for about an hour.
SO, now you know. This whistle works. It works well. Don't use it inside. Don't use it near pets. Plug your ears.
These are the best emergency whistles I've tried (and I have tried four different types) -- a good combination of small profile (so you can comfortably wear on a lanyard) and loud (not as loud as a marine emergency whistle I have but louder than two other similar whistles I have (including one that has a very similar design)). Lightweight. My kids and I wear these when hiking or snowboarding -- they are an inexpensive piece of safety equipment. Shouting when lost is very energy consuming and demoralizing. The whistles work great and sound very similar to the normal pea type gym whistle -- you could use this for refereeing if you wished.
`
Probably not the very loudest whistle out there but it is as good as other smaller/flatter whistles that I own.
This whistle performs adequately (for it's size and shape) and is reasonably priced.
The main selling point of this whistle is that it will fit in small kits (like a pocket survival or first-aid kit) and can be worn on a necklace or piggy-backed onto a knife-sheath, or even a boonie hat or walking stick, without getting in the way. Throw one into your tackle-box or tape one underneath the seat of your dirt-bike. If you are going far out into the wilderness or on a water-craft, it is a no-brainer (and a very good idea) to take this simple signaling device along, with you.
Keep it on your person. ... A series of three long blasts, three times per minute, is the standard distress alert procedure. If you break a leg or get lost or stranded, in a remote locale, you will wish you had one of these and, since it costs very little and takes no space ... adds no weight ... There is no excuse not to have one close at hand ... Added bonus ... No batteries required !
Just as with Bic Lighters ... I keep several small whistles scattered throughout my kits and packs and I keep one on my charm necklace, along with a fire-steel, a button-light, and a few other handy items.
I've bought these a couple of times for my cub scouts.
When they are learning about their 6 essentials of scouting for taking hikes and camping I usually give out these to the boys that don't have a whistle. I like these as they are bright, LOUD, don't take a lot of breath and have no moving parts. Also being plastic they won't stick to your mouth when it is cold.
These whistles are so flat that they fit in virtually anything, and are easy to pack into an Altoids tin or similarly diminutive wilderness survival kit. Despite that, they are good and loud. A two-pack of these makes an important piece of preparedness for couples, families or parties venturing into the wilds. These aren't for rescue, particularly, though they could be used to get the attention of others if within a close wooded area or slightly further in more open ground. Rather, they are ideal for keeping together when separated in inclement weather and limited visibility. They carry better than a shout and are easier to make oneself heard if you are hurt or otherwise unable to keep up a sustained shouting.

Feature Product
- Emitting a piercing 100-decibel signal, this slim single-frequency whistle is audible from over a mile away.
- Pea-less design ensures that the whistle works in any outdoor conditions without jamming or freezing.
- Weighing less than an ounce, this ultra-portable whistle fits in any pocket and attaches to zipper pulls.
- These whistles are ideal for signaling for a variety of outdoor activities, whether you are on the trail, on the slope, the water, and more.
- Each pack contains two whistles to share or distribute among gear like a rain jacket or go bag.
Description
Broadcast your position when lost in the wilderness with the Survive Outdoors Longer Slim Rescue Howler Whistle. Emitting a piercing 100-decibel signal, this slim single-frequency whistle is audible from over a mile away. These whistles are ideal for signaling for a variety of outdoor activities, whether you are on the trail, on the slope, the water, and more. Pea-less design ensures that the whistle works in any outdoor conditions without jamming or freezing. Weighing less than an ounce, this ultra-portable whistle fits in any pocket and attaches to zipper pulls. Each pack contains two whistles to share or distribute among gear like a rain jacket or go bag.
i purchased these to add to my emergency kit for camping, as i had been looking for a small, but loud, pea-less whistle, and this was it!
having two whistles is great, as you hope, but never know, if you will get separated from your fellow hikers/campers, so the extra is appreciated. these whistles can be attached to zipper pulls, as well as keychains, etc.
these are quite loud! i did not think a small whistle would be this powerful, but i was mistaken. the bright color is also a plus.
excellent purchase for my emergency kit! highly recommended!
These are strictly for use as what they are labelled as - emergency rescue whistles on a budget. They are fairly cheaply made and won't stand up to any kind of use. Good for packing away in case of an emergency or in a survival kit, if that's what your looking for and price is an issue these are good. Also, they are a little tricky to use to get the maximum volume out of, not exactly like an ordinary whistle.so maybe practice before you need to you one for real.
BUY these!!! If you intend on hiking and/or camping and have loved ones with you...for pete's sake, buy enough to hand one to each member of your group! I have severe asthma and decided carrying a whistle would be a smarter choice than trying to yell for help...should I need assistance. I barely had to blow into one of these tiny whistles and it almost blew my ear drums out! They certainly howled alright! lol! My husband went into the valley below us and up the next hill...about a distance of 2 1/2 miles from our house. I blew the whistle...he said he heard it plain as day...great to know! I'm definately buying more of these great rescue whistles for my loved ones! Plus, they pack great in my backpack and also in my back-up survival kit. I'm probably sounding like I'm gushing...and I am! These are the BEST!! Plus, they came right at the est. arrival time stated by seller. Bright orange, so if you drop it...can find it easily. They didn't come with a lanyard, but I'm putting one on each whistle to carry around my neck. Rescue workers would be able to find you if you had one of these!
I am REALLY impressed with these whistles. The ones I purchased were yellow, which I preferred because they seemed to be more visible when dropped at night. As soon as I got them, of course I had to be that guy randomly blowing whistles in the woods to test them out. These things scream like you wouldn't believe!
To be short and to the point.. here it is.
. These whistles have hardly any weight to them at all.
. Though they are tiny and light, it would take quite a bit of strength to break them.
. They scream loud enough to make your own ears ring.. and no doubt they would get one's attention.
. They don't use balls, so no worry of them freezing or not functioning in cold climates.
. Perfect for survival packs, EDC, self defense, hikers.. the list is endless.
I would have never believed I could be this excited about a couple dollar whistle, but I am truly impressed. I got this double pack just in case my young child and I ever got split up while hiking, and they most definitely keep my protective father instincts at east knowing they are in our packs.
I got to say this is a pretty good whistle for the price. This thing isn't as loud as those fox 40 or the storm whistle but this is a nice cheap alternative while still being heard from a distance. I love the unibody design and that it is also pealess. I would say buy a couple of these while going on night hikes or any sort of outdoor adventure. I use this with the storm whistle never hurts to have more than one loud signaling device.







0 comments:
Post a Comment