Monday, July 22, 2019

Masimo

Masimo MightySat

Masimo MightySat

Excellent at doing what it says it does, was very pleased for 6 months or so until it stopped working (I bought from Amazon Nov. 2015). I used for everything from target zone training on treadmill to correlating with blood sugar test levels to monitoring sleep. Bluetooth connection to my ipad was easy and reliable. Top notch accuracy battle tested in both medical cardiac rehab and cardio/health & fitness training. I believe the heart of the device may still work but suspect the plastic "jaws" or clamp that open and close around your finger have let it down. Recently, it gradually got finickier and now the screen goes on when i open it for my finger, then goes black when closed. I will contact Masimo to see if they are willing to repair.
*UPDATE*
Glad to report a happy ending to my story. I called Masimo and the gentleman I spoke with in customer support was unusually knowledgeable and helpful. In my case they will replace my device with a new one. It turns out Masimo provides a 4 year warranty under which my particular issue was covered, so I encourage others who experience issues to call Masimo directly, even if the Amazon warranty has expired. Note that my original 3 star rating was because it stopped working after 5 months or so, but that before that its features performed excellently.

I am a dentist with Sleep Apnea, I wear an oral appliance and have used expensive home sleep study devices in the past so I know what the results should look like. Although this device is not formally approved by the FDA for sleep apnea purposes, and you should only do this for 'educational purposes' while being treated by a professional, I found it to be super accurate and easy to use. I use it in conjunction with the Masimo iPhone app, I got the blue tooth model. I clip it on my finger and go to sleep and it tracks my history all night if I want. The clip can get tight on your finger after a couple hours so you may need to swap fingers during the night if it gets uncomfortable, but it is quick and easy to do without really having to 'wake up' much. You might need to put some electrical tape over the display screen or it gets bright at night, but I believe you can also turn the display off. The unit is very accurate in my experience, the history produced tells you maximum and minimum, tracks pulse and can even be emailed to your computer. I find it very helpful for screening and monitoring my sleep apnea. Highly recommend, but if you discover saturation issues, seek the help of a professional MD or DDS.

I will never understand why a company spends A LOT of money developing a product then ships it with little or no documentation and doesn’t provide any better info on line. In the reviews there seems to be some consternation about compatibility with Android phones and manipulation of data, so here it is. Download the Masimo Personal Health from Google Play. Get to the menu section of the Masimo and turn on Bluetooth. Pair it with your cell phone. When the Masimo is on and the App is open, the app will automatically record the data.

In the Masimo menu, I set the display on 25% to save energy for overnight recording. And for overnight I plug my phone in so it won’t die overnight.

Seems like a glitch, but my Masimo will then not automatically turn off even after removing from the finger until I quit the App on the Android. Then reopen the App and go to the History command from the bottom menu. Click on Send History. On my Samsung S4, Gmail refuses to send the attachment (security thing, I suppose) so I use Samsung Email and send it to myself. Then Clear Local History in the App.

Now in your email you will receive Masimo Personal Health History with a .cv attachment. Save it. Depending on your computer settings, it may open automatically in Excel, or you may have to designate it. Once the data is in Excel save the spreadsheet as .xlsx. This will enable you to manipulate the data.

Here’s my wife’s history overnight:

I bought this for my elderly mom while she's recovering from knee replacement surgery. She LOVES IT and said that it makes her feel more secure to carry this around in her belt pack. This gives her an idea of the "patterns" of 3 of the important vital signs (pulse, oxygen, respiration rate) while she's resting and during exercise. Then she knows if something is out-of-whack even if she otherwise feels fine.

The readings show up a few seconds after clamping it onto the finger and are very consistent. The display shows a cute little bar that jumps with each pulse. The iPhone app is quick & easy to connect with Bluetooth and has a beautiful moving graph that tracks history like a fancy medical monitor. I was able to show her how to use this without even reading any of the manual. A quick tap on the menu button flips the screen 90 degrees (one of four orientations).

There is only one product improvement I would suggest if the manufacturer is reading this.. I'd like to be able to use Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA batteries rather than regular alkaline because they last much longer (according to the manual it has to be regular alkaline).

I only trust Masimo pulse oximeters for accuracy; the other copycats are inaccurate junk. At first I wasn't sure if I should spend so much on a small gadget, but looking back at the decision, I am very happy I made the purchase. This is one of my favorite products of the year. Everyone in our family wants to "borrow" it from my mom because we are all curious of our fitness parameters.

Living at 7500' altitude it's nice to be able to occasionally monitor overnight sleep for O2 content in the blood and pulse rate. This device with the free app ( which is hard to find, and not mentioned in 4 pages of instruction) works very well .

I've done expensive sleep studies which were inconclusive due to the 20+ wires connected and the people snoring in the rooms on both sides, so this device will do the same thing ( if you buy the Bluetooth grade unit) at home with out any wires.

Once you set up your iPad ( needs to be plugged into electricity) and have syncronized your Bluetooth, a 12 hour period of information can be gathered and the data is very easy to email to yourself for conversion to an excl spread sheet graph.

This will sync with your iPhone and gather data on hikes or at the gym. Well made, and seems to be reliable so far, and I hope more accurate than the $20 one from CVS


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • BREAKTHROUGH MEASUREMENTS: Provides breakthrough measurements that aren't available on other health or wellness devices - Respiration Rate (RRp) and Pleth Variability Index (PVi)
  • ACCURATE WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST: Uses Masimo SET technology for accurately measuring Oxygen Saturation and Pulse Rate even during movement or low blood flow
  • DO MORE WITH YOUR DATA: Display, track, trend, and share your data or store it in Apple Health & TrainingPeaks on compatible iOS or Android devices through the free & easy-to-use Masimo Personal Heath App
  • 4-IN-ONE PACKAGE: The MightySat comes also with a carrycase, two Batteries and a lanyard. Each Masimo MightySat Oximeter has a two-year limited warranty
  • NOTE: For sports and aviation use only

Description

For Sports and Aviation Use Only



Good device,certainly better than off-the-shelf oxygen meter
Sensitivity is ok, but I found that it still loses track when blood pressure is low (<60)
Software needs some work. When it thinks the data is not very reliable, it sounds alarm. Need a way to lower the volume of that alarm. It is also finicky, e.g. on one hand index finger is not giving reliable data, but on the other it does, and they look the same
You can set another alarm to trigger when reading (e.g. SPO2) is low. Great, but it does not trigger when the device loses track, which is precisely when the blood pressure/SPO2 is low. AND when you download data, it will NOT show that there was low confidence during that period, just a repeat of last reading, which is misleading

This is a superior product. It is extremely accurate and easy to use. The Bluetooth feature works flawlessly and makes record keeping simple. I wore it overnight and it recoded every second on my IPad. It accurately identified episodes of sleep apnea and saved me a lot of money going to a sleep doctor. I would highly recommend this product to anyone needing to keep accurate records of their pulse rate, Oxygen saturation and respirations. Thank you for making this medical quality product affordable!

Impressive.. Purchased the MightySat because of its good reviews. They were not kidding. I have 6 other Pulse Oximeters and the by far the best and most accurate one. I am also impressed of the other information analysed and provided by the device. I would strongly recommend MightySat over other brand even it is the more expensive. Well worth the investment.

Works great and is very easy to pair and sync with the smartphone app. Quality construction and it is comfortable to wear. I tried several cms branded oximeters and they were impossible to get to work with my computer. the Bluetooth syncing with your phone is far more convenient anyway. It is very expensive but I called the company and they assured me that the 4-year warranty is honored with a replacement unit after they receive a defective unit.

Forget the sat and heart rate readings. This thing gives you the PVI--plenth variability index--and indicator of the volume status of your patients. Masimo is selling a larger sized unit--which does the same thing--for about $5000. I don't get why they would undercut themselves with a smaller unit for 1:10 the price. This unit has correlated well with the $5000 unit on 2 of the 3 patients I tested it on.
Keep in mind PVI monitoring is about 80% sensitive and 80% specific for diagnosing low intravascular volumes in adult patients being positive pressure ventilated at 8+cc per kg at PVI readings <8 (adequet intravascular volume) and >13 (low intravascular volume).
Only drawbacks are mediocre sensitivity for picking up pulse and eats through batteries.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment