
I'm allergic to hazelnuts so I decided to "un-mix" the container and weigh the nuts separately just because I could. To all those that think there are more than 50 percent peanuts I beg to differ. The total weight of peanuts in my container was 27.10 ounces or 48.9%. Next in line were almonds at 16.80 ounces or 30.3%. Third were cashews at 5.00 ounces or 9.0%. Fourth were hazelnuts at 4.20 ounces or 7.6% and last were the pecans at 2.30 ounces or 4.2%. I thought all were of very good quality. Would like to see just a little less salt in order to achieve 5 stars.
This is a huge can of nuts. Tasty nuts. Apparently the peanuts occupy less than 50% of the population in this massive canister of nuts. Apparently that's supposed to be a good thing. Seems unfair, sorta classist, to single out the peanuts among all the other nuts for controlling their population levels in these canisters. Some people really like peanuts! Planters should consider being more transparent about whether and how they control the population levels of the other nuts. They should also seriously reflect on the effects their marketing practices have on pervasive negative stereotypes about peanuts.
Anyways, this is a nice big can of nuts. Good, tasty mix. I knocked a star because these are salted pretty heavily, at least for my taste. To be clear, that's not going to prevent me from eating and enjoying the entire canister. It's still tasty stuff. But, it does mean I get sated more quickly each time I decide to pop open the can to chow down some nuts. And as some guy said somewhere at some point:
"When it comes to salt on your nuts, addition is easier than subtraction".
I've purchased these Planter's Mixed Nuts for years as a healthy snack for my family.
+Good assortment of peanuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, and hazelnuts.
+Nuts % in that order with about 50% peanuts, then almonds, cashews, etc.
+Crunchy and tastes good. Healthier than munching on chips.
+Easy to open taped foil seal cover with no sharp edges.
-Since early 2018, no more Brazil nuts.
-Prices change all the time from $13 to $21 a can, so shop around.
First of all, I totally underestimated the size this can of nuts would be! The thing is HUGE! It's as big as a big can of coffee. I've included a pic next to a big container of coffee that I have here so you can see how big the can of nuts is.
It's got a nice variety/mix of various nuts and not too many peanuts. Of course there's always more peanuts and almonds than the more premium nuts, but I'm finding enough cashews and pecans in the mix to make me happy And it's nice and salty- it says on the label that it's "Pure Sea Salt." So if you're looking for low salted nuts, then these will be too salty for you. I love salt and they are just perfect for me.
They are definitely addictive- I'm afraid I'll have this huge can eaten up in the next two days!
I love mixed nuts and tend to eat them a lot. The 56 oz container is perfect for me and the price is great, especially since I've noticed that this larger container seems to have a lower ratio of brazil nuts than most of the other sizes (although this is purely anecdotal as I haven't done any measurements). I always pick out the brazil nuts, and usually when I get the smaller containers of mixed nuts I usually have to pick a few out of almost every serving I pour out. With the 56 oz container I have found that there are many times when I pour out a serving that there aren't any brazil nuts and when there are it is usually just one or two. One downside to the larger container is that the nuts at the bottom tend to be saltier since that settles to the bottom and there is a lot to settle. I try to keep it shaken up but that doesn't seem to help much. This is still absolutely worth it for me.

Feature Product
- Mix of peanuts, cashews, almonds, hazelnut and pecans
- Seasoned with pure sea salt
- 170 calories per serving
- Resealable canister
- Perfect for those keeping kosher
Description
Planters Mixed Nuts - Planters Mixed Nuts are a crunchy and versatile snack that the whole family can enjoy together. Use them as an appetizer on game night, pack some in a bag for your next road trip, or simply set out a bowl on the table to snack on throughout the day. This delicious mix features peanuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts and pecans, with less than 50 percent peanuts. The nuts are seasoned with pure sea salt, which enhances their savory natural flavor. Versatile and Delicious Snack - Great for snacking at home, at work or on the go, the Planters mixed nuts come in a convenient resealable canister. Each serving contains plenty of healthy fats and protein, helping you stay full throughout the day.
My kid tried telling me that there is something out there about not eating nuts in November, some internet trend the kids are doing I guess, but I'm a grown man, and these were on sale in November, So I bought them anyways. I subtracted one star due to the slightly false advertising on Planters part with their claim on the can that these mixed nuts contain less that 50% peanuts. Now I've only received and opened my can today, and while I have eaten more of these nuts today than I probably should have, I haven't gotten through 1/8th of the can, so maybe the bigger nuts have settled at the bottom and I just don't know, but by my observation so far, I would estimate, at least at the top of the can, that these contain about 60-65% peanuts, which is neither a Pea or a NUT, as I seem to get way more peanuts in every handful than anything else combined. That being said, I like Peanuts just fine and these are some tasty nuts indeed. Maybe a bit too salty for some people's taste, and probably way saltier than my doctor would want me eating, but I've been enjoying them so far. What has surprised and delighted me the most is the Cashews. I was expecting to open the can to find maybe one or two cashew in the can, and Planters has been stingy with them in the past, but no it is not the cashews that is lacking in this can, but surprisingly the pecans that are the rare ones. I like pecans just fine, but the cashews, that's the money nut in my book, so this was a win for me. Plenty of Almonds and Hazel nuts too, so if those are your favorite, you'll be happy, the only ones that may be upset are the pecan fans, as those are really lacking in this can. As far as freshness goes, I'm not sure how to tell if nuts are fresh, but they taste just fine and fresh to me, there's no stale or dried out taste, that's all I know. Ha, No Nut November, I don't think so!
Have to say that opening a 56 oz can of Planters Mixed Nuts with Sea Salt is like opening a grab bag. A couple cans ago we found the largest almonds we'd ever seen. All of the nuts were decent size. The can we opened yesterday looks more like floor sweepings. I realize that they are sold by weight, and not size, just pointing out the variance. :-) (Ironically, this can had a 10 percent price increase from previous delivery...Subscribe and Save.
A wonderful perfect gift for my step dad who never wants a birthday nor a gift to remind him of said birthday! First time he did complain! He literally went nuts at the holiday gathering the dishes of this wonderful mix like a kid picking his favorites!! Lol...luckily this is a big wonderful can I could keep refilling them! So I reordered a can for his birthday!! Along with another jar of salt free pistachio mix and popcorn...He's all set to watch his movies & sports!!
I bought these by accident, thinking I was buying the Deluxe Mixed Nuts. If you like peanuts, you will love these. They are very fresh and have an adequate mix of premium nuts. I will not buy them again, though, as I much prefer the Deluxe Mixed Nuts that have no peanuts. These have at least half, if not 75 percent peanuts.
I buy this 56 oz mix to refill the smaller container I keep at my office desk. Its a good mix with a noticeable amount of nuts other than peanuts. I feel its a good deal and the sea salt is not overpowering. Last me about 3 months with daily snacking.







0 comments:
Post a Comment